Arent Fox has an active and well-regarded state and local advocacy practice. We are most active in Washington, DC, where the firm was founded, and maintain diverse relationships throughout the District of Columbia government, including the mayor’s office, numerous executive agencies, the Attorney General’s office, the City Council, and with Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District’s representative in Congress.
In addition to our work in the District, we routinely represent clients in Pennsylvania before the Legislature and State agencies on a variety of issues including health care and energy.
Experience - State & Local Advocacy
Public Buildings and Economic Development
- Passage of HR 3699, the historic “Federal and District of Columbia Government Real Property Act of 2005,” which transfers large parcels of land, including Poplar Point on the Anacostia River and Reservation 13 adjacent to RFK Stadium, from the federal government to the District government for economic development.
- Passage of the $1.8 billion Southeast Federal Center development next to the Washington Navy Yard, now known as “The Yards.”
- Securing a $30 million grant to expand the Shakespeare Theater in Washington’s Penn Quarter neighborhood.
- Securing $40 million for Arena Stage’s $100 million redevelopment in Southwest Washington, DC.
- Passage of a $1 million annual tax abatement for a large nonprofit trade association in exchange for bringing even greater convention and tourist revenue to Washington, DC.
- Passage of a $50 million revenue bond to renovate the Verizon Center, Washington, DC’s premier sports and entertainment arena.
- Financing the District’s $611 million stadium for the Washington Nationals.
- Authorization of numerous revenue bond financing projects, tax exemptions, and property dispositions.
- A leading design professional in the negotiation of his contract with the District of Columbia Courts for the renovation of the Old DC Courthouse; and
- The owner/developer in the negotiation of project agreements for the renovation of space leased to the University of the District of Columbia.
- Representing the Delaware Valley Chapter of the American Hemophilia Association before the Pennsylvania State Legislature regarding health insurance coverage requirements.
- Advocating before the Legislature and Executive Branch agencies in Pennsylvania for important municipal finance and state pension policy reforms.
- Routinely assisting clients with state Medicaid coverage disputes, as well as with cases involving fraud and abuse.
- Successfully working with clients to obtain coverage and payment of new therapies by state Medicaid programs.
- Planning and administering public forums in Pennsylvania to increase awareness of best practices employed by the natural gas industry with regard to the Marcellus Shale reserve.
- Securing an exemption for a scientific appliance manufacturer from new energy efficiency standards imposed by the State of Maryland.
- Passage of legislation to provide equitable treatment of retail energy providers with respect to alternative energy credits.